A dental porcelain veneer is a thin piece of porcelain fitted onto the front area of the tooth and can be used to change the color, shape, or size of the tooth.
In most cases, veneers fitted teeth are done as a cosmetic dental procedure meant to enhance beauty and looks. Porcelain veneers can also be considered for other reasons such as damaged and misshapen teeth or to conceal undesirable dental enamel defects.
Before you decide to have porcelain veneers fitted to close a gap or fix crooked teeth, it is important that you understand the implications, benefits, and what is involved in fitting porcelain veneers.
The thin pieces of porcelain fitted to the teeth are made in such a way that they resemble natural teeth and are as strong as the natural tooth enamel.
Reasons Why People Consider Using Porcelain Veneers
To Improve Looks/ for General Aesthetics
Most people long for an attractive and stunning smile. Actually, most people who see a porcelain veneer dentist do so for this reason. Most veneer patients are renowned celebrities and their constant appearance in public brings them so much pressure. There is nothing wrong with dental porcelain veneers, since it makes them look and feel better.
If you live near Cambridge Ontario then visit our Cambridge Country Dental clinic to discuss using porcelain veneers to help you achieve that perfect smile. We also have dental clinics in Toronto and in Fergus, ON.
Veneers to Hide a Discolored Tooth
Teeth can be discolored due to many reasons. Discoloration can come from tetracycline stains, too much fluoride, very big resin fillings, or root canal treatment. When the front teeth are discolored it becomes a major concern for many people. As such, porcelain veneers come in handy to address this issue and hide a discolored tooth.
Veneers to Hide a Chipped Tooth
Often, when one of the front teeth is broken or chipped due to an accident it would be considered a dental emergency. Porcelain veneers can be used to cover up broken or chipped teeth, to make the teeth look intact and normal again.
Veneers to Cover a Gap Between Teeth
In most cases people will resort to braces to help cover gaps in the teeth. Unfortunately, in some cases, braces may not be very suitable and a dental porcelain veneer would be the most appropriate alternative. The thin porcelain material is therefore used to nicely seal any small gaps in the teeth.
Veneers for Misaligned Teeth or Irregularly Shaped Teeth
Misaligned and irregular shaped teeth might happen right from the moment your teeth began to develop. If your teeth are not properly aligned, porcelain veneers can be used to correctly position your teeth in a well aligned manner.
Dental Porcelain Veneers Procedure
Porcelain veneers, unlike composite resin veneers, will require not less than two visits to your dentist. Veneers can be fitted by any dentist or a specialized prosthodontist. A prosthodontist is a dentist who is trained in prosthetic dentistry and uses artificial substances like veneers to replace natural teeth.
Tooth Preparation for Porcelain Veneers
You must first visit a trained dentist to discuss what you want exactly. The dentist will take you through a smile test to help you settle for what makes you most comfortable. At Country Dental we will be glad to meet and discuss every detail with you and even suggest what type of porcelain veneers will suit you best.
Veneer Procedure Step by Step
- To start off, your dentist will give an anesthetic. This is to prevent you from feeling pain when a thin layer of your enamel is extracted. A layer of the tooth enamel, usually half a millimeter, must be removed to provide room for the veneers to fit. The tooth enamel that is removed must be as thick as the veneers to be attached. Uniformity in size ensures the teeth remain the same size even after the dental veneers are attached.
- Next, the dentist will take a mold of your teeth and submit it to a dental laboratory. It is this impression of your teeth that will be used to make the dental veneers. The impression is necessary to ensure the tooth veneers imitate your natural teeth in color, size and shape.
- It may take up to a week for the tooth veneers to be made; during this time your dentist can opt to fit temporary veneers.
- Before the dentist permanently fixes the veneers, they must be tested to ascertain there suitability for your teeth. During testing the dentist pays close attention to the color and shape of the veneer. If it does not match perfectly, it can be trimmed to fit.
- Once the tooth veneers are confirmed to be a perfect match to the surrounding teeth, your tooth will be cleaned. This cleaning and polishing is meant to roughen the teeth to enable the porcelain veneers to bond to it strongly.
- When the tooth has been adequately prepared, a unique type of dental veneer cement is pasted on to the veneers and then it is attached to your tooth. A light beam is then applied to the porcelain veneer to make the chemicals in the cement active. It is the activity of these chemicals that will speed up the healing process as well as harden the cement.
- To finalize the porcelain veneers procedure the dentist will do a final polishing of the veneer by getting rid of any extra cement and checking if you can comfortably bite, plus any other required modifications.
Tips for Maintaining Dental Porcelain Veneers
It is true that dental porcelain veneers can last for many years if you care for them well. The tips below will guide you on how to take care of your porcelain veneers to prevent them from breaking:
- Brush and floss every day just like with normal teeth. Ensure you see your dentist after two weeks for a checkup.
- If a veneer gets chipped off then you should visit your dentist to redo it or alternatively fix a crown to the tooth.
- Do not clench or grind your teeth. Also be careful when biting – do not bite into very hard stuff.
The Benefits of Having Dental Porcelain Veneers
- Porcelain Veneers make your teeth appear natural and someone will rarely notice them.
- There are fewer risks associated with the dental veneers procedure.
- The veneers might take some time to mold, but fixing them will not take long.
- If your teeth are not well placed, then looking at porcelain veneers before and after the procedure will boost your self-esteem and confidence immensely.
Note that anyone can use dental porcelain veneers as long as your dentist has examined you and has determined that your particular case makes you a suitable candidate for veneers. If you have enough enamel, no decayed teeth, and you do not grind your teeth a lot, you may be a good fit for this dental procedure.
Visit us today at one of our three Ontario Country Dental clinics in Cambridge, Fergus, or Toronto, and find out more about dental porcelain veneers.
Contact us today to book a dental appointment, or call:
Dental Financing Now Available at Country Dental!
We’ve partnered with HealthSmart Financial Services At Country Dental, we are not only excited to have three dental clinic locations […]Read More