In this blog post, our Country Dental dentists will discuss a number of different causes of bad breath and what you can do to prevent and get rid of bad breath.
Bad breath (aka Halitosis) is an unpleasant odor that emanates from exhaled breath. This embarrassing condition is caused by bacteria that breed in the throat, tongue, or on the tonsils. The causes of bad breath can range from lack of proper dental hygiene to illnesses such as gum disease, bronchitis, pneumonia, sinus infections, or liver problems.
Good bacteria can aid in digestion by breaking proteins into amino acids. A side effect of this process is that the bacteria create sulfur, which is the primary cause of the foul smell we associate with Halitosis bad breath.
What are Common Causes of Bad Breath?
- Dry mouth – bacteria propagate in dry environments
- Foods that feed bacteria sugar or protein
- Inadequate dental hygiene
- Gum disease
- Other illnesses or diseases
- Lack of overall body hydration
- Insufficient usage of mouth-rinsing products
What Is the Best Way to Get Rid of Bad Breath?
There are many things that you can do to prevent the causes of bad breath.
- Make sure you brush and floss twice a day.
- Eat vegetables and fruit with lots of fiber.
- Vitamins such as B, C, D, and E naturally help your body eliminate toxins.
- Choose oral care products specifically designed to fight Halitosis bad breath.
- Brush regularly after consuming protein-based products such as meat, fish or dairy. See our blog on Brushing Dos and Don’ts.
- Black tea and Green tea can assist in breaking down sulfurs.
- Stimulate the flow of your salivary glands with sugar-free mints, lozenges, or gum.
- Brush teeth with Baking Soda from time to time.
- Drink lots of water to eliminate a dry environment in your mouth where bacteria can thrive.
- If you are a smoker, eliminate tobacco usage.
Regular check-ups and dental exams are an important part of maintaining healthy teeth and addressing the causes of bad breath early. Your dentist can quickly determine which areas in your mouth are not receiving the attention they require and address the issues to help you eliminate Halitosis breath successfully.
About Country Dental
Country Dental has three dental clinic locations to serve you including in Toronto, Cambridge, and Fergus. Along with 24-hour emergency dental services, we also have a Pediatric Dentist and Orthodontist on staff, and we are open 7 days a week.
For more information about the causes of bad breath and Halitosis treatment options, or to book a dental appointment, please call our Ontario dentist offices in the clinic nearest you:
If you have bad breath and need help:
NOTE: For additional information about bad breath, the Canadian Dental Association website has a Breath Testing Questionnaire, which was compiled by The University of British Columbia.